Sunday, October 2, 2011

Week In Review

Wow, I've been a terrible blogger this week. I don't really know why, there has been plenty to talk about and I've had time (maybe not plenty of time, but time). I don't know what my excuse is! I do know that I tend to blog less when I feel more isolated, which of course doesn't help...you'd think it would be the other way around! Anyway, here I am :)

Today is Lily's Three-Month-Home-iversary! She's had a lot of firsts this past week: I took her to the playground for the first time and tried her out in the swing, and she loved it! She had her first two playdates with friends from church. She learned to climb the first two stairs. She had her first hearing test and she can hear normally!

We've also been working on eating solid foods. Every day I dip her Nuk brush in some Stage 1 baby food (today it was pears), then "dive" in and try to get some on the back of her tongue.

I do this two times and then we stop. She isn't crazy about it but we aren't having any tears, either. It's hard to tell if she swallows much of it, but the idea is to keep putting food in her mouth and she'll at least "accidentally" swallow it some of the time, and eventually figure out that it's good! She now tolerates me "tickling her teeth" with the Nuk brush, so long as there's no food on it. Occasionally she will put the brush end in her mouth intentionally and chew it a few times before returning to the plastic handle. Slow but steady progress!

She has finally started pulling to a stand again (since her heart surgery). Her favorite spot to do this is IN the bathtub. With water in it. Yup, REAL safe, lol! But hey, she is standing!

I think that sums up our week pretty well. This week Lily has her first vision test, and to be honest I am NOT looking forward to it. Please pray for good news (ideally: no glasses or patching, but it's likely she will need both). Thanks!

5 comments:

Jolene said...

Definitely praying for the vision test!

We have a 20 month old that had severe food aversions and we had to the feeding therapy with Nuk brush etc...I'm happy to say that a year later she eats like a trucker...ok she still can't eat meat due to texture issues but she's eating great (for her)!

Also, our little one LOVED standing up in the bathtub with water in it...gives me a heart attack every single time!

Emilie said...

I thought you might like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/02/mariah-slick-down-syndrome-homecoming-queen_n_991098.html?icid=maing-grid7|aim|dl10|sec1_lnk2|100831

Lisa said...

wow! def a big week :) thanks for sharing. we hope to see you guys soon!

Anonymous said...

Praying for a great visit with the eye dr.

Dianne said...

How long will it be before she can play in a pool? A pool might be a bit safer than the bathtub!