Monday, September 5, 2011


We may not get to go home tomorrow.


Apparently Lily had a fever of 101.7 on Sunday morning (and nobody thought to tell us until this morning?!?) so they took blood cultures on Sunday afternoon. They have to give the cultures about 48 hours to see if anything grows. That puts us to at least Tuesday afternoon before they can conclude that her infection is gone. If nothing grows, we will be discharged (yay!), but later in the day.

If something does grow...

It will depend on what it is. If it's the same bacteria as before, she'll need more antibiotics through her IV (they never did switch her to Cipro, by the way). That may mean we have to stay another five days, or it may mean that they put in a PICC line so that we can administer them at home. If it's another bacteria altogether...again, it depends on what it is. If it will respond to oral antibiotics, then we can probably go home on Wednesday with a prescription.

Can I be selfish here for a minute?

I. Want. To. Go. Home.

Please, please pray that nothing grows and we are discharged tomorrow. Please.


one_plustwins said...

praying! and just a word of wisdom here from our own experience. Do NOT allow them to do a PICC line on the floor (our children's hospital has a "procedure" room to do this stuff in on floor). Joseph's first line would NOT feed through his right arm and over...they had to back out and do the left arm. I am sooooo grateful they decided to put him out in OR and be prepared in case he had breathing issues (thanks T21) and he did not know they buggered up his right arm and then went for the left.

He lost pulse beats in his right arm too....took WEEKS to recover.

PICC lines are wonderful for getting discharged and going home, but daggone we had a time getting it.

Jolene said...

I'll be selfish with you and being praying you all home! Its time to go home! We'll be holding you up in prayer!

Jill said...

Oh Jess...I'm sorry to hear about her fever. Praying with you that you can go home tomorrow afternoon!

Kellan's momma said...

Praying...but I do need Lily pics!

Julia said...

OH!! That is why they came in and stuck her while I was in there!! I'm so sorry!! I am SO sorry!!!

Cathy said...

Just checking in on Lily. Continued prayers!!!